5 Day Garden Route Safari (return)
5 day safari tour from Cape Town to Jeffreys Bay and back to Cape Town
Climb aboard this 5 day tour where we go on a Big 5 Safari, visit an elephant and a monkey sanctuary, do the World’s Highest Bungee, surf in J-Bay and squeeze through the Cango Caves!
Day 1: Arrive at Riverlodge Backpackers in Cape Town
You'll arrive at Riverlodge Backpackers in Cape Town and spend the night. We're a self-catering hostel, but if you wish to order meals, you can do so in advance. Spend the evening however you wish. We have pool tables, a bar, plus a shuttle service should you want to go somewhere.
Day 2 ǀ Cape Town to Oudtshoorn Little Karoo, Cango Caves, Wildlife Rehabilitation Ranch
We leave the Mother City behind and head into the semi-arid Little Karoo along the scenic Route 62 driving to the town of Oudtshoorn, known as the ostrich capital of the world, it is situated in a beautiful, fertile valley between the Outeniqua and Swartberg Mountains. Here you can choose between:
- The Cango Caves where we will embark on a 1-hour guided tour of the cave system to view its massive caverns and a wonderland of stalactite and stalagmite formations, millions of years old. Cango Caves is a world heritage site and one of the great wonders of the natural world. Or if you enjoy spelunking and don’t mind trying to squeeze through some smaller gaps then you are also welcome to take the 1.5 hour adventure tour!
- Go on a guided tour of the Cango Endangered Wildlife Ranch for an opportunity to pet cheetah, cage dive with crocodiles and view and learn about many rare and endangered animal species.
We then head over the Outeniqua Mountains to the lush coastal region known as the Garden Route where we will head to the beach town of Sedgefield where we spend our first night. If time allows we will also head to the beach for a swim in the Indian Ocean.
Accommodation: Cape to Addo Backpacker dorm: Sedgefield
Facilities: Shared ablutions, internet, pool, entertainment areas, free shuttle service to PiliPili Beach bar
Route: Cape Town – Oudtshoorn – Sedgefield 520km
Travel time: ±6.5 hrs
Included Highlights: Standard or adventure guided tour of Cango Caves OR Cango Endangered Wildlife ranch
Optional Activities: Pet a cheetah, cage dive with crocodiles
Day 3 ǀ Sedgefield – Jeffrey’s Bay Monkey Sanctuary, Elephant Sanctuary, Kloofing, Bloukrans Bungee & Tsitsikamma National Park
This morning we drive through Knysna on our way to the Crags where you have a number of options to choose from:
- Elephant Sanctuary where you learn about, and interact with orphaned elephants.
- Monkey Sanctuary where rescued monkeys roam free in a large jungle area.
Our next stop is the World’s highest commercial Bungee Jump at 216 meters where you have the opportunity to experience this adrenalin pumping activity. Finally, to end the day we take a beautiful walk through the indigenous Tsitsikamma National Park to the Storms river swing bridges before we head to the famous surfing town of Jeffreys Bay where we stay at a backpackers directly on the beach.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Accommodation Backpacker dorm; Island Vibe Backpackers, Jbay
Facilities: Shared ablutions, bar, restaurant, internet
Route: Sedgefield to Jeffreys Bay 220km
Travel time: ±3 hrs
Included Highlight: Tsitsikamma Forest
Optional Activities: Elephant Sanctuary OR Monkeyland, Bloukrans bungee jump (216m), Bloukrans Bridge walking tour
Day 4 ǀ Jeffrey’s Bay – Addo National Park – Sedgefield Game Drive (Addo), Surfing, shopping time (Jeffrey’s bay)
There are 2 options to choose from this morning.
- Sleep in and take some time in the morning to explore the towns many surf factory shops, or go for a surf lesson in one of the most famous surf spots on earth.
- Wake up early and head to Addo Elephant National park where we go on a morning game drive to view the multitudes of wild animals. Addo is home to the Big 5 and it also has the highest concentration of African Elephants in the world!
We then take a relaxed drive back towards Sedgefield for the night. If there is time available we will visit the famous Knysna Heads for some absolutely amazing pictures where the ocean meets the inlet to the Knysna Lagoon.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
Accommodation: Backpacker dorm: Cape to Addo house – Sedgefield
Facilities: Shared ablutions, internet, pool, entertainment areas, free shuttle service to PiliPili beach Bar
Route: Jbay – Addo NP – Sedgefield +-470 km’s
Travel time: ±6 hrs
Included Highlight: Storms River/Jeffrey’s Bay/Addo Entrance & Game Drive with Cape to Addo guide & Knysna Heads
Optional Activities: Surf Lessons, Shopping OR Addo Game Drive with SANP (morning)
Day 5 ǀ Sedgefield to Cape Town: Return to Cape Town via Sir Lowry’s Pass
After a breakfast we begin a beautiful canoe trip down one of the many tranquil rivers in the area, followed by a short hike to a stunning waterfall.
We then visit an Aloe factory in Albertinia and enjoy a wonderful scenic drive via Swellendam and Sir Lowry’s Pass. We arrive in Cape Town late Thursday afternoon.
Route: Sedgefield – Cape Town +-450 km’s
Travel time: ±5 hrs
Included in the price:
- All accommodation + bedding
- Breakfast and Dinner as indicated on the itinerary
- All transport in vehicle with AC, CD player and reclining seats
- Tsitsikamma National Park
- Cango Caves OR Cango Wildlife ranch entry fee
- Knysna Heads
- Visit to an aloe factory
- Stop at Storms River/Jeffrey’s Bay
- Entrance to Addo and Game Drive with Cape to Addo guide
Price: ZAR 4,250 PLUS the price of your first night's accommodation at Riverlodge Backpackers
Please view Riverlodge Backpackers accommodation options. Once you have decided which room you'd like to stay in for Day 1 of this 5 Day Garden Route Safari, contact us so that we can send you the pricing.